Saturday, May 10, 2014

Lionbrand Lacework Cardigan





I haven't made very much progress, I've completed the second wedge. I knit while watching TV in the evenings mostly, and I keep getting too wrapped up in the show and forget to knit. Guess I need to watch something less interesting than House, lol

I've been a tad frustrated with Lion Brand, they keep updating their pattern! I realize that's a good thing, really I do. I was just lazy and instead of printing out a pattern I was using the web browser on my phone. It gets a bit confusing late at night when you go to check what row you are on and suddenly there are twice as many rows in the pattern. Thanks goodness I've gotten it all memorized and don't need to look at the pattern any more. It was rewritten to be clearer regarding how to work the short rows, only it made it harder to just quickly glance at and see how many stitches to leave unworked before the turn. It now also includes instructions to purl that first stitch on the return row. I mentioned in my previous post how I slipped that stitch so things would line up right. I can't imagine working that stitch would look very nice, wouldn't that make it too high next to its neighbor stitch and look horrid once you worked back across those? I am sticking to slipping it since that is what makes sense to me.
 
So more details about what I am actually working on are in order. I am not scrawny slender like the pretty redhead in the picture, but it's a cardigan and hopefully a bit forgiving. It would have been nice to have a picture of the front, but Lion Brand is not known for their awesome pattern pictures for a reason (at least it is a light color that you can actually see). I usually snoop through projects on Ravelry, but alas the pattern is new and there are no completed patterns up yet :(

Click for link to pattern
 
The pattern is free, but requires a free sign up like all Lion Brand patterns do.
 
The yarn called for is Martha Stewart Crafts Extra Soft Wool Blend.
It is 65% Acrylic, 35% Wool, machine wash and dry, and runs $7.49 each on their website. I'm making an XL size, so would have cost me $75 if I had bought this yarn. That's a bit out of my price range at the moment, though I'm not sure I'd pay that for 65% acrylic yarn if I did have the money to blow on yarn.

The yarn I'm using is from my stash - Cascade Sierra - which is an 80% Pima Cotton and 20% wool blend. It is soft and light-ish and thankfully I had a gift certificate for the local yarn shop where I bought it a couple years back. Prices online are good for it now that it's been discontinued. Webs is currently selling it for about half what it was listed locally. I can't stand Webs; too much yarn I really want to buy at such good prices!!! (oh the things I'd splurge on if rich! lol).

Hopefully I'll get time Mother's Day to relax and get some serious knitting done, maybe splurge on a really nice cup of coffee too :)






No comments:

Post a Comment