Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bag Progress.

I'm nearly finished with the bag, though it has been going slower than I anticipated. I am really liking the look of it so far and am trying to create a pattern for it so I can recreate it in another color later. Here is my progress so far.





As you can see I have one whole side done and the other side very close to being done. I still haven't decided how to make the bottom. I am considering picking up and knitting a stockinette stitch for the bottom, but have also considered creating the bottom separately then sewing it in. I am leaning towards picking up and knitting the bottom in the round and decreasing in the center hopefully producing an oval shaped bottom. I am going to attempt a mattress seam to sew the side together. At first I had considered making the seam more of a focal point, but decided later that I want it to be cleaner and neater looking.

My skein is getting pretty skinny, and I don't have much to go, so I am really hoping it lasts until I'm done with the bag. I could use a different color on the bottom, but would rather not have to do that. By the way, the color I'm using is "Cafe."

The bag will be rather deep with a short handle, and after working it back and forth I think I've come to the conclusion that it may have been easier to do in the round and eliminate my need for sewing the side seams. Depending on how long it really takes my other yarn to arrive, I may attempt a second bag worked in the round just for curiosity's sake.

So far I am quite pleased with how it is looking. I don't care to use the Red Heart Super Saver yarn for sweaters or other clothing, but for bags it is working out well. There is quite a lot of stretch to it though, so I may have to avoid carrying anything heavy in the bag unless I decide to line it (HIGHLY doubtful).

That's all for now. I should finish it tomorrow or perhaps tonight depending on how eager my husband is to help me sort through donateables, keepsakes, and junk in the basement...I'll probably finish it tonight, lol

No comments:

Post a Comment