Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Finished Projects.

I have been in a slump lately, so haven't been doing much updating. I had planned to post progress pictures, but I don't remember to take pictures when I'm blue and knitting into the wee hours of the morning in front of the tv. I completed two of my projects and am nearly done with the third.

In the previous post I said I was having trouble with the socks for my daughter. It is such a simple pattern, but I just kept making dumb mistakes. No surprise that the sock is the project that I haven't finished yet. I am on the right track though, and remembered to increase this time. I will most likely finish it later this evening then take a break from knitting until Monday.

The tank top I knit for myself turned out very well, but I don't think I'll be wearing it much until fall time. It is pretty warm, and I think would look good over a long sleeved button-up shirt. Using two strands of Red Heart Super Saver and size 13 needles, it knit up pretty quickly. I think it turned out quite excellent for just casting on a random number of stitches and holding it up to my body to decide when to make arm holes or neck shaping. I completed this Saturday morning. Here are the pictures.



The shirt for my 4-year-old I completed Monday night, realized I made a mistake, ripped it partially apart then re-completed it Tuesday morning. It turned out very pretty and my daughter loves it. I used the same eyelet pattern as is used in the sock pattern, with a seed stitch edging. I was hoping to use up some of the leftover yarn (Lionbrand Cotton-Ease) from the girls' "Elenka" dresses. The shirt used up the partially used skeins, but I still have a pink that was barely used out of, and a green that hasn't been used at all. Guess I'll save them for something later on, perhaps I'll make a matching hat and scarf for her later.





Although I am not yet finished with the second sock, I will go ahead and included a picture of the one that is complete. I don't think I'll create a post when I do finish it, just because that seems a bit of a waste of time since they will both look exactly the same anyway. Here is the free pattern I used for the socks.



Because I've been in a slump lately I changed my mind on what to make next. I was going to make the "Scarlow Cardigan" for my husband, but I didn't think dark musty colors sounded like a good idea right now. I wanted to make something pretty for myself in a more cheery color. After a bit of searching I decided to go with the "Abotanicity" pattern I found on Knitty.com. It looks just complicated enough to keep my mind occupied, but not so complicated as to be frustrating. I will be using the Cherry Tree Hill Supersock Silk Yarn (80% Low Micron Superwash Merino Wool / 20% Silk) in the color Tea Rose. It was a bit more costly than I would have liked, but working with this yarn should be a pretty big "pick-me-up" and I sort of need that right now. The yarn will be here on Monday, which is why I will start knitting again on that day.

I am excited to start this project as I will be completing two of my personal goals in knitting. It is made in the round from the top down, and the arms are knit with two circular needles instead of DPNs (double pointed needles). I really don't mind using DPNs, but apparently a lot of sock knitters hate using them, so many of the sock patterns I want to try are written for circulars. I figured it would be good to learn the technique on something like this sweater that is a bit simpler than the lacy socks I want to make.

After I have completed the "Abotanicity" I will try to make that cardigan for my husband. I want to start working on some gifts before too much longer. I would like to make socks and maybe some shawls. I want to make the Shipwreck Shawl. It is beautiful and I've never made a circular shawl before. I may make one for me and one or two for family member(s) that I think may like it as well. I have a hard time knitting or crocheting gifts for people. There are a few people I know who actually use and like what I give them, but then there are others that I have an inkling just don't care and never use the gifts.

That's all for now. I will be trying to catch up on reading and working on the garden over the weekend. When the yarn comes on Monday I will put up a "Yarn Haul" post complete with pictures.

3 comments:

  1. Hooray! The deleted post did magically reappear after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it reappeared! I think that ittybitty green and pink shirt is super fun! Hope she didn't cut that up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The red socks are already in the trash. My daughter wore them out in under a week (I'm guessing the yarn being old didn't help much). Thankfully she really liked them while she had them.

    ReplyDelete