Friday, May 13, 2011

Unlawful knitting.

Yes, I broke my knitting fast. I had every intention of not knitting until my yarn comes on Monday, but I got curious about the brioche stitch and wanted to try it. Somehow my little test section ended up turning into a hat, lol.

It all started because I wanted to learn some edging techniques for knitting straight pieces. I watched a couple videos on YouTube and decided next straight (not in the round) piece that I knit I will try one of the chain edge techniques. The one I will be trying will be to slip first stitch knit-wise, then to purl the last stitch. It sounds easy enough and looks quite nice. The video is here. It somehow progressed into my watching random knitting videos, until I ran across some brioche stitch "how-to" videos. I've always thought the stitch looked pretty, but had never attempted to actually knit it.

I told myself that I would just try it, just for a little bit then I would stop. so I got my size 6 circular knitting needles, two partial skeins of Lionbrand Wool-Ease (purple) and Cotton-Ease (gray). I followed the techniques found in these two videos here Part 1 Part 2. I worked a couple inches and liked the process enough I just kept going until bedtime. This morning I figured out how to decrease it (by trial and error, really I should have just looked online) and ended up with the hat pictured below.


This is the right side of the hat,

and this is the wrong.

This picture is just to show how it sits, though it is pretty stretchy and can be manipulated to sit lower or higher. It would also be able to hold a good amount of hair underneath it.

Here is the top of the right side, you can see the decreases here...reminds me of a star.

And this is the top of the wrong side. It doesn't look as nice as the right side, but it still looks nice enough to be fully reversible.


So that was my little knitting adventure I did last night and this morning. I am getting a picture in my head of a man-sweater with dark blue main color and dark grey contrast color using this two color brioche stitch. I may be ambitious and attempt making it sometime this winter. For now though I have a good size stack of knitting projects that I have set aside for Christmas presents. I would like to get those done before working on any more "just because" projects (after the sweater for me and the Scarlow sweater for my husband of course, though I may sneak in a pair of socks between them).

No comments:

Post a Comment