Thursday, April 14, 2011

I've got a head full of knitting worries.

I am nearly done with the crochet dress, then I have a crochet pullover and I'll be finished with my four projects for spring. It must be because I'm nearly done with the "Spring Four" because I've got ideas swimming in my head for what I'm going to make next. I am actually stressing out about trying to pick a group of patterns to knit next...when I'm not even done with the current group.

I've wanted to branch out my sock making for a few years now. I've only made socks with leftover yarns that were worsted weight. Mostly I've used Red Heart Super Saver yarn leftovers from afghans I've made. I want to try my hand at making socks with actual sock yarn, especially the stretchy stuff. I will be making at least two pairs of socks in my next group of projects, I just need to narrow down the patterns to my two favorite, lol That could take awhile...

There is the matter of making a sweater for my husband. I can't get a satisfactory answer out of him when looking at patterns. He thinks the models look weird, and doesn't even seem to see the sweater I'm trying to show him. I may end up just picking something that I like and hoping that he likes it when it's done. There are at least four patterns that I would seriously consider making for him that I have found so far. I will continue to search and hopefully find the "one."

I further complicated my status of "too many projects, too little time" by picking up the Spring/Summer 2011 edition of Vogue Knitting. I only want to knit about 13 of the patterns shown, lol I already have a heap of patterns that I want to make which I've printed out off knitty.com (speaking of which, they just updated their pattern archive so it's much nicer to use now) including a few tanks for summer. Then I have the stack of patterns from LionBrand.com, some of which I would like to make as gifts. Many of the patterns I had selected last year, but never got enough money to actually make the projects in time for Christmas. I will probably try again this year, but it all depends on the cash flow.

Yarn cost is a bit disheartening sometimes. Even knitting with medium to low-end yarns can get expensive. I'm not sure if I'll ever get to knit with a premium yarn because the sticker shock is a little more than I can handle. Maybe I'll be so lucky as to find a phenomenal sale, hey I can dream, right? The Patons Grace I am using for the crochet dress was plenty spendy enough, and it is considered a medium quality yarn AND I got it on sale. It's a good thing knitting is so relaxing and works as my therapy. I could never afford to knit if I had to pay for talk therapy, lol Life is too stressful to not have an outlet. Thankfully I have a husband who understands knitting is my relaxation and peace...if only I could get him to pick a stupid sweater pattern, lol

I am trying to convince myself that I need to wait to pick out new patterns, but I am failing miserably. I keep thinking about what kinds of things I'd like to make while I am working on my current project even. I think I just need to get the "Blue Tangelo Reflection" dress finished and move on to the crochet pullover. Working with a different texture and yarn weight should help put off some of this yearning for new projects. The Patons Grace has been giving me a bit of "yarn burn" on my finger, lol Something softer and thicker would definitely be a nice change.

I should be finished with crocheting the front of the dress by this evening. After I sew the side and shoulder seams I'll need to block it, so I won't be able to do the edging until tomorrow. I am not quite understanding why I didn't attempt to do this dress in the round instead of following the pattern exactly. I guess I never fully trust myself to make too many alterations to a pattern without totally screwing it up. I probably won't be making this pattern again to try it in the round, simply because there are so many patterns I want to make.

I should have pictures to post of the completed dress some time tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You work fast. It will be fun to see what the finished dress looks like. I understand about the expense of the yarn. I'd love to work with more natural fibers but could only afford to make baby booties or something tiny lol. Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Experimenting with different fibers is a goal of mine, I'm especially interested in flax at the moment, but don't know when I'll get around to actually working with it. The idea of something that gets softer and hangs better each time it's washed sounds quite appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes that does sound nice. I like to look at yarnmarket.com and drool lol.

    ReplyDelete