Saturday, September 24, 2011

Addi Turbo Update.

I used the Addi Turbo Lace in size 1 (2.5mm) to make the socks for my husband. I liked the needles well enough, but did run into some common issues that I had hoped to avoid by buying "premium German needles." The main issue I noticed was the cable. The cables are soft, and I soaked them in boiled water to release the coil memory, but ended up fighting with them while working anyway. Casting on was downright unpleasant because the cable just wasn't soft enough to make a nice loop. It wasn't as much of an issue once I got the cast on over with, but it still felt a bit stiff at times. I also noticed the join snagged a tiny bit. It wasn't bad, but it did annoy me when it happened. Lastly, the tip while nice, just wasn't sharp enough.

I used the smaller size 0 (2 mm) needles to cast on and knit the toe portion of the Tribute socks. The bluntness made it difficult at times. I switched to the regular Addi Turbo size 1 needles, and found it nearly impossible to work with. I could not do the k2tog and the ssk stitches without a lot of struggling. I switched to the lace tip needles and it is going a lot better now. I am frustrated by the bluntness of the needles.

I do think the Addi Turbo needles are good quality, but I will not be buying a full set of them or any of the interchangeable sizes. When I made my recent yarn order from KnitPicks.com I also ordered some needles. I got a size 1 fixed circular in nickel, and sizes 4,8, and 10 in the interchangeable Harmony needles (as well as a cable of course, lol). I bought sizes that I will be using for Christmas knits, so I should be able to get a pretty good feel for them. I would like to get some more nickel tips in the future, I love the way yarn slips on metal and that I knit faster on them.

I can't wait to get my KnitPicks needles and try them out. I have high hopes for the needles and the yarns I ordered. The package should get here end of this week or sometime next (hopefully sooner though!) Expect lots of pictures when the box gets to my house!

No comments:

Post a Comment