Thursday, September 15, 2011

Diamond Waves Socks complete!

I finished these sock a couple days ago but have been too busy to post until now. Overall I really liked the pattern and will probably make it again once Christmas knits have been made. The Paton's Kroy FX yarn was decent. It is not a luxury yarn, but seems durable. I have yet to wash the socks, but will update once I do.

Here are pictures of the socks themselves.






You can see that I am modeling the socks on my feet. I do not have a sock blocker yet (plan to buy a set the end of the month though!). I also decided that while these socks fit snugly on my narrow-ish feet, there is no way they would fit the wide feet of the person I was hoping to gift them to. I am keeping my first pair of "real" knit socks.

When the socks are on, I really don't mind that the yarn is slightly different colors (one is lighter than the other). The striping is a sort of causal fun that doesn't bother me now that the socks are complete (perhaps I am just happy that they are done, period! lol) They don't add quite as much bulk as I was expecting when worn inside of my shoes, but they do add a bit of cushion and a ton of warmth. I have worn the socks for two days, and I am really going to have to make some more!

As I said earlier, I will update this post after I wash these socks. The yarn says it is machine washable and dryable, but I haven't tested that out yet. If I were going to gift them, I would have washed a swatch just to be safe, but since I am keeping them I will take the chance of washing the socks.

A note about the needles and method used to make these. I used the magic loop method and really liked it. I have tried knitting on two circulars and hated it too much to bother. I don't mind using DPNs but magic loop seems less of a hassle to me. The needles I used were rather short, so next time I will make sure my cable is longer. I used shadow wraps instead of wrap & turn, and will most likely keep using the shadow wrap method. I found it to be a bit easier and it looks nicer. I really like having invisible wraps instead of that ugly out of place thread when doing traditional wrap and turn. This was my first time knitting toe-up and two-at-a-time. I will be doing something different for my next socks (following the pattern to be precise) but will experiment with this more in the future and try adapting patterns for toe-up and two-at-a-time.

No comments:

Post a Comment