Monday, February 11, 2013

Snapdragon Soaker Completed!

I started a wool soaker over the weekend and just finished it today. I used the "Snapdragon Soaker" pattern I found on Ravelry.com It was an okay pattern and I don't really have any complaints about it. I do prefer the pattern I used previously though, simply because of the ribbing that allows more stretch. I will have to use both on a baby to know which one actually functions better though (if either one is actually superior at all).

This was my first time working with Knit Pick's "Full Circle" 100% wool, and I am quite happy with it. It feels nice in hand and makes a soft finished product. The only complaint is pretty minor, and that is that it tends to untwist a bit as I work with it. I am not too surprised though, as it is single ply. I am a little sad that this yarn is limited edition, because I would love to work with it again. Knit Picks offers this yarn in both bulky and worsted weights, and I would imagine longies knit up in "Full Circle" worsted weight would turn out quite nicely.

I made a few alterations to the pattern, like usual :) I knit this up in size small. I cast on 8 fewer stitches than called for, then increased those 8 stitches back into the soaker once the waist was complete. I've found that using smaller needles for the waist isn't enough, and they always tend to be a bit too stretchy and loose. I am hoping that the little bit of a decrease will eliminate the need for a drawstring or elastic. It is still quite stretchy though, and shouldn't cut in at all. I chose rolled cuffs for this soaker. I thought it would look cleaner with the body of the soaker being all stockinette stitch. I am happy with my choice and think it looks better than ribbed cuffs would have. I also didn't make the raise quite as long as the pattern called for. It seemed like the leg holes were oftly large, and both my other babies have been tall (in the back) and skinny. I took a chance and made this to fit better on a skinny baby; now watch him come out super chunky, lol

The balls of yarn are 100g and 110 yards. I have a little left over after making the size small soaker. I have one more ball of this yarn, and will be making another soaker with it. Maybe I'll have just enough yarn left over to make a little hat for him too : )

Now for the pictures!


Front

Back

Side

Comparison with newborn sized soaker made previously

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you made this post! I think I agree that I do like the looks of the previous soaker better, it looks like it will do its job better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so which did you end up liking better? did one or the other work any better? I am currently working on the snap dragon and have also knit a pair of shorties as well as the curly purly. I have seen the vanilla pattern with the ribby crotch and wondered if its worth buying the pattern or not just for the ribby crotch. do you know of a free pattern with the ribby crotch perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I haven't noticed a big difference between how different soakers work. It all seems to come down to how well it is lanolized as the diaper fold is what actually holds stuff in (jelly roll fold worked fabulous at holding all that ebf mess). As far as fit goes, I really do like the added stretch that the ribs give and it just looked nicer over trim flats and bulky prefolds.

    The Vanilla pattern is a very nice looking pattern and it is a plus that it uses provisional cast on instead of Kitchener stitch for all those knitters who dread grafting. I don't mind grafting at all and the soaker pictured next to the Snap Dragon is the Cheeky Soaker pattern which is free on Ravelry.

    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cheeky-soaker

    ReplyDelete