Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas knit #10

Christmas knit #10 has finally been started. I am making the scarf with the jade yarn. I would have posted this sooner, but the scarf is taking much longer than I thought it would, and I wanted to have something to actually show in the pictures.

Firstly, the pattern I selected came from Knitty.com as have so many others I've knit lately. The pattern is called "Henry" and is located here. I chose this pattern because it is masculine, classy, and clean looking. It also intrigued me that it is worked lengthwise. Size 2 needles are used for cast on and the tiny border edge, then size 3 needles are used for the body of the scarf...just fyi ;)

The yarn is Knit Picks Gloss Fingering Yarn in the color Jade. The yarn is 70% Merino and 30% Silk. It has a nice sheen to it and it feels lovely. I am hoping the end product will have a wonderful drape. The green color is deep and rich with a jewel like quality to it that is just beautiful. I purchased 4 hanks.



So far I am liking the pattern and my yarn selection. The scarf is looking beautiful, but I am a bit dismayed at how long it is taking to make. I timed myself at 16 minutes per row, so the entire project should take approximately 42 hours to complete. Christmas is just one week away and I am stressing out about getting this completed. I have 3 other projects that need completed as well, each one needing about a weeks time to make. Unfortunately, some people will be getting their gifts rather late :(


 Here is the entire scarf with one full repeat of the pattern completed. That is a 40" cable. See why each row takes me 16 minutes? lol

 Here you can see the waste yarn on my starting edges. I used a provisional cast on, and will be pulling the waste yarn out once the project is complete.

 Here is just another look at the scarf at 1 repeat worth of progress.

Here is a more recent picture and you can really see the pattern a lot better here than in the previous pictures. This is 2 1/2 pattern repeats (the pattern calls for 7). This is a very recent picture, as I am currently only 4 rows beyond this.

I will be working on this scarf every possible second of every day until completion. I have very little time to complete this, and I really want to get it done on time. I have been working on this scarf so much lately that my left hand has been cramping. My middle finger has been locking up and my wrists hurt. I actually had dark green marks on my fingers where the yarn was rubbing on my skin. I am really liking this scarf, but dang will I be glad when it is done!

No comments:

Post a Comment