Saturday, December 31, 2011

XMAS yarn haul

 As the title says, this post is a yarn haul. These are the yarns I got as gifts for Christmas (except one, but I'll get to that :).


This first yarn is from my husband. He told me I could pick out some yarn from Knit Picks as my gift from him this year. I usually buy my yarn from Knit Picks because I like the quality and their yarn is a lot cheaper than comparable blends and quality yarns from other brands. Both colors are the same kind of yarn; Wool of the Andes bulky weight. It is hand wash so not exactly easy care, but isn't supposed to pill and should last for a very long time. It isn't really soft, but I don't really care as I will be making sweater tunics out of it and will be wearing them over another shirt for added modesty and comfort.

 This is the color "Juicy." I picked this color because it is bold and fun and should go great with black leggings/skinnies or the thigh-highs I had started. Just FYI, I plan on making this long enough that it will be more dress than tunic.


This is the color "Polar" and is reminiscent of icy mountain peaks. I liked the concept behind  this colorway and thought it was great for a more muted look that would be great for winter and would go good with jeans. I am not planning on making this tunic as long as the pink one as I plan to always wear this with jeans or pants and not stockings. I am also planing on making arm warmers for this tunic, but haven't decided if I will for the pink one.

The next yarn I picked out using the very generous gift certificate I received for a local yarn and needle craft store. It was fun to go into the store for the first time and see all the yarn that is usually out of my price range. I had a $100 gift certificate and spent it all on one bag of yarn. I went in looking for an easy care cotton blend in a peachy color in a dk weight. I didn't find exactly what I was hoping for, but am happy with what I selected.


 As you can see from the pictures I picked out yarn by Cascade. I have never used this brand of yarn before because of the hefty price tag. This yarn was $11.50 per 191 yard hank so it was $103.50 for the bag of 9 hanks. This isn't the soft peach I was going for, but it is a pretty salmon color that will work nicely and be bright and fun for summer. It is a worsted weight, so a bit bigger than what I was thinking of, but that is just fine. This is the Cascade "Sierra" yarn so is a 80% Pima Cotton and 20% Wool blend. I am hoping the wool helps add a bit of springiness to the yarn (but not too much!) and will make it a bit warmer for summer nights.

I am still planning on using this yarn for a self-designed spring/summer short sleeved tunic. I decided about adding extra beads or glittery thread for embellishment and think I will just use a more interesting stitch for added interest around the neckline. I am hoping to keep it simple and elegant but very wearable. I am not sure how washable this yarn is. I have never used it before and have found conflicting reviews online. Some people say it washes great in the machine, while others say washing it ruins it. I think I will try washing it in the machine, but on a gentle/delicate cycle only.

I am excited to use this yarn because it is the most "high-end" yarn I've ever had. I wish I could start working with it now, but I still have Christmas knits to complete and will probably do the cold weather tunics before doing this warm weather tunic. The yarn feels nice and has a pretty sheen to it, so it will be interesting to see how the finished product turns out.

 This next yarn is yarn I purchase while picking out yarn from my gift certificate. I wanted to get some sock yarn to knit a pair of socks for a friend, but didn't really want to order one skein of yarn over the internet. I am happy that I found something that will work.


This yarn is not the typical wool sock yarn that I usually use. The friend I will be making these socks for lives in a southern state and I wanted the socks to be wearable for more than a month or two out of the year. This is Kraemer Saucon Sock yarn in the color "Lime." It is 44% cotton, 43% acrylic, and 13% nylon. I would have preferred more cotton or nylon and less acrylic, but the yarn feels good and will be easy care. I picked this color because I thought it would go very nicely with the lacy wave-like sock pattern I picked. I have never used yarn from this brand before, but given it was $12.50 for this one skein I am expecting it to be good quality.

There you have it, the entire yarn haul. I got some very nice yarn and am excited to get started on these projects as soon as I finish the Christmas knits I have going now.

Happy New Years!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment