Saturday, December 3, 2011

New personal knit, and a dumb goof-up.

I started a new project, just for fun. It is something for me that will be on the back burner and isn't on any timeline. I have those 4 hanks of black sock yarn (Knit Picks gloss) just siting there not getting used. What would be cooler than having a pair of knit thigh-highs? So I cast on for toe up socks and started knitting. This is something I am just making and not following any sort of pattern, though I did look for inspiration on the lace. In fact I am using the lace pattern for a shrug on knitty.com titled "I do." I do think that is a beautiful shrug by the way, and I hope to make it at some point in the future.

I am not very far yet, though I think it is looking kind of cool so far. Weird to knit thigh-highs, right? I will admit I have always secretly wanted a pair of long knit stockings, but didn't have the ambition to actually do it and never found a pattern that inspired me enough to commit. I am envisioning wearing them under a bulkier knit dress with a pair of boots or plain heels. When my husband found out what I was making, he assumed I was making them for another reason...men and their dirty minds.

Right now I am using 2.5mm needles (magic loop method and two-at-a-time like usual) and plan to increase needle size as I work my way up the leg. I am hoping this will increase the size enough to prevent me from trying to increase, though I am sure I could figure out how (but I really don't want to have to figure it out!). I will no doubt run out of yarn and have to buy more, but I am not that worried about it as this is a "for fun" project for myself. I will just order more yarn if or when I need to. Here is a picture of my progress so far (about 2 days worth of work).


 
I kept the toe portion pretty short, hoping for good comfort and good looks with more variety of shoes. we'll see if in the end it was a good idea or pointless, lol


Where is the dumb goof-up? I assumed I had the needles required to make the next planned project. I ordered that pretty jade yarn to make a scarf for a Christmas knit, then decided I needed needles for the project. I ordered the needles, got them, and just tonight started winding the yarn into balls. I went to start the scarf and guess what? Those needles I bought special for this scarf, well they are the wrong size! They are not a tiny bit the wrong size, but way off. I bought size 6 needle tips, but I need size 2 (2.75mm) and size 3 (3.25mm). I don't own needles in that size with long enough cables! So frustrated with myself for making such a stupid mistake! I ordered the two needles tonight and hopefully I will get them around the 14th. I was so tempted to get some yarn too, but I resisted and only got the two needles.

Since I screwed up and need to wait for yet another order before starting this project, I will be working on something else instead. I picked a very simple pattern for a knit scarf for another person for Christmas, and I have two more pairs of socks to make. I will be starting one of the projects tonight, but I haven't decided which one yet. I am not sure I feel like winding more yarn to make socks, but I am not sure I want to work on a black scarf and the black thigh-highs for myself at the same time. All the dark colors may depress me, I am pathetic like that, being influenced so heavily by what color yarn I am working with, lol Anyway, I'll be knitting something! When I do decide what project to start next I will be sure to post, though probably not tonight. My husband is working late tonight and if I stay up and wait for him I will be up until about 3:00 am. So hopefully there will be a post with my decision tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! When you update, you really go great guns! :) Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I avoid updating until I feel like I have to, at which point I usually have several things to report on. It seems strange to me that I do this, it's not like I don't like updating my blog and posting new pictures of my progress.

    ReplyDelete