Thursday, December 29, 2011

Progress update and future plans.

The "Hourglass" socks are coming along well. It is too bad that I wasn't able to complete all the Christmas knits on time, but it is what it is. I am halfway done with the foot area, so I am nearly done (top down socks). After this pair of socks are completed I will have a scarf and another pair of socks (maybe two) to knit up before completing my Christmas knits for this year. I am hoping to be all done within three weeks.

I have a few projects planned once my current queue is done. I want to make a knit tunic for myself (chunky yarn), finish those thigh-highs, finish the jacket for my husband, and I am planning a new project. I met nearly all my goals for this year with knitting, so I am thinking about new goals for 2012. I want to get into designing more and following other people's patterns less. This isn't really a problem for me since I am a progress knitter, but the problem comes in having a written pattern if I want to share with others. I want to get into designing and making patterns as it seems like I can never find a pattern for exactly what I want to make.

I was given a gift card to a local store that sells yarn and needlework supplies. I have never been in there, so I am excited to see what all they offer! I have decided what I want to make and what kind of yarn I want to use, but I need to come up with the technical aspects of it so it looks like I envision. I want to make a short sleeved tunic for spring/summer. I am thinking I want to find a dk weight cotton yarn in a light peachy color and keep the design of the tunic simple and feminine.  I am thinking of pairing it with light colored capris or skirt and a pair of wedges or flats (assuming I have the money to buy those things, lol). I am still trying to decide if I should include some kind of embellishment at the neckline (thinking either beads or glittery thread held along a white or cream colored yarn). So far all I have is a sketch. I need to actually buy a book and read up on designing and pattern making.

I hope to go shopping for the yarn for the spring tunic tonight. I hope to get the kind of yarn I want (don't care what brand it is). Depending on how much money is left after the yarn for the tunic, I will probably try to get some fun colors for summer things for the girls. I was thinking that some bright stripped summer skirts or dresses would be fun. At some point I want to pick up some chunky yarn for my 7-year-old, but I want her to finish the scarf she is currently crocheting first. I hope she finishes the scarf before winter is over. She wants to learn knitting, but I don't think she is quite ready for that yet.

I need to get back to working on the "Hourglass" socks. I am really hoping I can get them finished before the week is up. If I power knit all this evening I should be able to get the rest of the foot done and then work the toe tomorrow. I will update as soon as the socks are done and on the blockers!

No comments:

Post a Comment