Saturday, October 8, 2011

Christmas knit #2 update.

I finally have pictures of the hat, and the scarf. I got the hat pattern from Knitty.com, link here. I do believe I am about 2/3rds done with the scarf, so I am excited to get it completed. Here are the pictures!

This is the Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Bulky weight yarn that I used for the project. It is 100% Peruvian Highland Wool. I bought 2 137 yard hanks of both Coal and Smoky colors. I really like working with this yarn. I did find a few naps in it, but only one knot so far and it feels soft and springy and warm. I am thinking of using this yarn for the Scarlow jacket for my husband...providing I ever get around to it. I highly recommend this yarn, the quality and the price are both good.


 This picture is to show how I was knitting it on the 40" circular needles (size 10 tips). The pattern called for two circulars, but the cable is soft enough that allowing the extra to form a loop not being worked on, worked out pretty great. Yes, those are my pajamas, and yes that is a wet spot where I spilled water on myself, lol That's what I get for knitting into the wee hours of the morning.


 Just a close up of the needles, so you can see the beautiful colors and the sharp tips! I am still loving using these needles. They feel so slick and nice in hand and have been very comfortable to use.

This is the black side of the hat. I think it turned out very nice. I am making this hat for a man with simple clean taste in style, and I think he will really like this. I made this is size small, as the large size was working up much too large. I do believe the small will fit nicely. My gauge was slightly off working this hat, but after blocking it, the measurements were exact. I am very pleased with this hat, and I may just end up making another one later for my husband (different colors of course).

 
 This is the tonal side. I was afraid I wouldn't like the pooling of the colors, but it actually is kind of interesting and not tacky or ugly at all. I love that it is completely reversible with both sides being attractive.

 Tonal side with brim turned up, I imagine this is how it will be worn as the hat is rather longish without turning up the brim.

Lastly, here is the picture of the scarf. To make this I cast on enough stitches to work one repeat of the pattern graph, plus one more on the end. As I worked this I did a chain edge to hold the fabric together on the edges and to give it a more finished look. You do this by slipping the first stitch of the row knit-wise, and purling the last stitch of the row (this is done every row). I held both strands of yarn together while working the chain stitches. It holds it together nicely and looks pretty great too! For the pattern I worked up the same pattern as on the hat until I completed it, then just kept going making one side black and the other side tonal. When I reach the end of the scarf I will work the pattern again, just upside down. It will look slightly different, but that is fine. The scarf will be reversible, just like the hat.

I imagine I will have the scarf complete in a couple days time. I will post final pictures when it is complete. I still need to finish the Tribute socks. I will start working on them hard-core when I finish the scarf. I will decide which project to start next once I have the socks finished. I am leaning towards making another scarf, one in particular, but who knows :)

1 comment:

  1. For some reason I missed what difficultly level this hat is listed as on Knitty.com I assumed it was a "Tangy" level, but it's not. In the archives on their website it is the only hat under the "Extraspicy" area, and on the actual pattern it lists the difficulty as "Piquant." I am very surprised by this, as it felt like a "Tangy" level knit to me.

    ReplyDelete