Thursday, October 27, 2011

Christmas knits #4 and #5.

I was in a bit of a blue mood last night, so when picking my next Christmas knit pattern I wanted something pretty and fun. I considered using the bright orange and yellow yarn for a planned pair of socks, but chose to go with something "pretty" instead. I had been planning on making the jade colored men's scarf next, but decided even though it is a beautiful yarn it is not quite happy enough.

The pattern I ended up choosing was the "Flit + Float" from knitty.com. If you follow the link, you will see that this is a lacy and pretty scarf, meant more for looks than for warmth. Also notice that in the title I listed Christmas knits #4 and #5. I am making two scarves for two different people, one purple and one dark red.

This is the picture I took of the yarn the day I received it. It is Knit Picks Shimmer yarn in a lace weight. It is 70% baby alpaca and 30% silk. The color on the left is "Sherry" and the color on the right in "Elderberry." This yarn is very soft and luxurious feeling and a pleasure to work with, even if it is tiny.

This picture the flash shows the pretty sheen the yarn has. You can see both scarves being worked on here. I am using my new size 4 (3.5mm) Harmony Knit Picks needles. You can see those cute, neat, little balls of yarn...it took me an hour to wind each ball. I have a bit of a cramp in my right arm from winding those last night.

Of course this picture is just to show the yarn color without the sheen to it. I am pleased with the colors. "Sherry" is a very pretty dark red with some darker and lighter tones in it. "Elderberry" is a brighter color with some very pretty purple tones in it. I think the end result will be very lovely.

The pictures were taken after about 2 hours of work. I cast on and am working the first ruff, I will be done with it in 3 more rows. After that I will slip my needle back through the open cast on loops and start knitting the actual scarf. I hope to be done with this project by the end of this weekend. Once I get done with the ruffle and have some progress on the scarf done, I will post new pictures :)

2 comments:

  1. How's it going? (progress-wise) The colors truly are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made very little progress on these two scarves. I started watching a new anime, but they speak so fast it is hard to read the subs quickly enough to get any knitting done, lol Also I've been having a string of migraines lately, so I am very far behind in my knitting. Hopefully I'll have some progress worthy of pictures in a couple days time.

    ReplyDelete