Monday, October 10, 2011

Christmas knit #3.

I have decided which project to tackle for my third Christmas knit. I will be making the "Skullface" scarf from Knitty.com. I selected this pattern for a young man who loves math. I thought the pattern had a decidedly geometrical appeal to it and a sort of coolness factor that would be appropriate for the person it is intended for. I don't usually include pictures of the pattern, but for this one I will.


You can see what I mean about the geometrical qualities of the pattern. I will not be following the pattern exactly. I will be omitting the ties in the middle and the shell pattern on the bottom edges. I want to keep it a simple scarf with simple edges. I think the shell design on the ends doesn't work very well with the geometrical skull patter, especially since this will be a man's scarf. I will also be grafting the two pieces together instead of using a triple needle bind off. I will attempt to make both sides at the same time. I will have three strands of yarn for each side, so it may get a little tricky, but that's what makes it fun! This pattern is "Tangy" difficulty, so it should be a breeze once I get used to the skull pattern.

The yarn I will be using for this pattern is Knit Picks Swish Worsted. It is 100% Superwash Merino wool. I have 4 skeins of solid black, and one hank in the color "Gypsy" which is a tonal red. It will be great that this yarn is machine washable and dry-able, very nice for a gift item. Here is the picture of the yarn.


The man I am making this for likes red, so I think this tonal red should look nice. The colorway should end up making a marbled look which should look nice for the skull faces.

I mentioned before that this will be my first time using the intarsia method. I am not very apprehensive about it, as it sounds rather simple. It is simply using a separate piece of yarn for the area of color being worked, with wrapping the yarn around the neighboring strand to keep it all connected. In this pattern the color pattern is achieved by slipping stitches, the intarsia is only for one edge of black.  I am still not sure why it is necessary to even work the side edge in intarsia, but hopefully it will become more clear once I actually start the project. If it isn't necessary, I may end up not even using intarsia.

I won't be starting this project for a couple days. I have work to do on the Tribute socks. Once I get the gusset completed and need to switch to a smaller needle size, I will start work on this scarf. I don't imagine it will be more than 3 days. I will post once I do start the "Skullface" scarf, hopefully with a picture or two :)

No comments:

Post a Comment