Monday, October 10, 2011

Irritated with Knit Picks.

I really like Knit Picks as a whole. Their website is easy to use, their needles and yarn all seem to be affordably priced yet superior in quality...so why am I so irritated with them? Simply put, they won't sell me the yarn I so desperately want! I have been waiting for the Gloss Fingering yarn in the color Jade for awhile now. I want it to make a classy scarf for a classy man whose favorite color is green. It is the perfect color in the perfect blend for the perfect scarf for the man I intend to use it for. Only problem is that Knit Picks isn't making it available.

A few weeks ago the availability of the yarn was marked for October 5th. October 5th came and the yarn said "available soon." Part way through the day it changed to "available 10/10/11." I have a whole order waiting on the availability of this yarn, so I was a little irritated that it changed. Well, today is the 10th of October, and the availability tag has been reading "available soon" for several hours already. I am scared it will get changed again to next week.

I know that the yarn will be fantastic, as I ordered some in black previously. It has a beautiful sheen to it from the silk, and the merino wool is super soft. I haven't decided if I am going to use the black to make a scarf for my father, or use it to make a couple pairs of socks in the Tribute pattern. This would be perfect for my 5-year-old daughter who loves all things black, and I might like a pair of socks for myself or a lacy scarf even (or some lacy wristlets! I have never made wristlets before!.

I am especially frustrated over the fact that I have an entire order hinging upon the release of this yarn. Every order from Knit Picks over $50 gets free shipping. I have sock blockers, and two fixed circular nickle plated needles in my cart. I need $10 more to get free shipping. I would hate to pay for shipping for this order then turn around and pay shipping for the next order within a few days or a week. I am not so keen on paying shipping charges ever, so it would really irritate me to pay for shipping twice if I could have avoided it altogether.

My issue is that I need those sock blockers and needles to work on the 3 pairs of socks I have planned for Christmas knits. I could really use them for the Tribute socks I am working on now. I am using a 2.5 mm needle to increase the size of the sock, but would like to switch to a size 2.25 mm when I reach the foot area, then use a 2 mm needle for the toe area. I have both 2.5 mm and 2 mm, but I am missing a needle in that middle size. I am wondering how long I will end up waiting until I can order the needles and blockers I need. It will take me several days to finish the leg, heel, and gusset sections of the sock, so it will be a little while until I need the 2.25 mm needle. There is also the issue of the free shipping taking about a week until I get my order. I may be working on scarves only for a couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment