Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Knit Picks Needles.

My order from KnitPicks.com came on Monday. I would have posted earlier, but didn't have time with all the knitting I've been doing ;p Yarn haul later :)

I have been using the new needles to make a double knit hat, and so far I love them. The cables are exactly the softness I was looking for and the tips are sharp, sharp, SHARP!! They are fabulous, and these are what I will be buying a full set of (eventually, piece by piece no doubt). I ordered the wood (birch) Harmony line in interchangeable circulars. I got sizes 4 (3.5 mm), 8 (5 mm), and 10 (6 mm) as well as a set of 40" cables (two cables, a key for tightening, and four screw on ends).

The needles are very light weight, sturdy, smooth, and pretty. The joins are smooth and the tips sharp. I have had one problem, but don't think it is worth returning over. I am using the size 10 needles, and there is a rough spot that has snagged a couple of times. I am not sure what caused it, but a piece of the grain of the wood has came up and been broken off at some point. It is small, and not super noticeable, so I will try to fix it with a tiny bit of nail polish to stop it from snagging. Not a big deal to me, and I am still really enjoying using them.

I also ordered a size 0 (2 mm) fixed circular in nickle. I tried several times to take photos comparing the needle tips between the KnitPicks and the Addi Turbo needles, but my camera just wasn't able to get a good picture that showed the difference. The sharpness of tips is a huge difference. Because of wanting sharp tips for knitting socks, I will be ordering a full set of the smaller range of sizes of the fixed nickle needles from KnitPicks. The tips are way sharper than the Addi Turbos, even a good deal sharper than the Lace needles which are supposed to have special sharp tips for lace knitting. The cables are softer (very nice for magic loop method) and they are cheaper. The Addi Turbo needles were $13.50 each plus $4 shipping, while the KnitPicks fixed needle was $5.99 and I got free shipping for ordering more than $50.

So far I really love the KnitPicks needles. They are everything I was looking for and they feel great in hand. I would definitely recommend these needles, especially since they are affordable!

Pictures of the needles fresh out of the box, still in their packaging :)

Click on the picture for larger size as usual :)

No comments:

Post a Comment