Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Silly knitter, Tribute socks are for kids!

Problems with the Tribute socks...I would say big problems, but it's quite the opposite actually. Yes, the socks I have spent over a week slaving over are child sized. I checked my gauge like a good little knitter always does, whole lot of good it did me!

I thought the socks looked fine, until I got partway through the foot area. I tried one on my (clean) foot, just out of curiosity. I will admit that I have big feet, but they are long NOT wide. The sock was a huge struggle to get over my heel. Even though I made the socks in the "large" width size, it barely fit over my heel in the ankle portion of the sock. Just for curiosities sake, I called my daughter into the room and tried it on her foot. Yes, the socks I was knitting for an adult, fit my 6 year old perfectly. So, I just knitted to the end of the lace section and made the toes. My daughter is very excited to be getting socks for Christmas, lol Only now I need to make a pair for the 5 year old as well.

Here are the pictures of the completed socks.

 Here you can see that the instep portion is fairly large. It doesn't look as odd on, and it fits my daughters wide feet well, so all's good.





This picture looks a little bit funny because it is on my hand. It looks better on my daughter's foot, but she is asleep like most people ought to be at this hour ;)


I would be lying through my teeth if I said I wasn't disappointed that the socks turned out so tiny. I am rather let down because I spent a good amount of time on the socks and had went to the trouble to check my gauge. I checked my gauge on a swatch before I started the sock, and during the cuff area. Both times my gauge was spot on. Either my measuring tape is extremely screwed up, the pattern assumes women have tiny feet, or something else really screwy is going on with the yarn or my tension while knitting.

I have cast on a new pair of socks with what yarn I have left (approximately 1 and 3/4's balls of the Red Heart sock yarn). I will buy more yarn when needed IF this pair goes well. I cast on using larger needles this time. Previously I had used my size 0 (2 mm) Addi Turbo fixed circulars. This time I am using the Addi Turbo Lace needles in size 1 (2.5 mm).

On the new pair of socks, I am finished with the cuff and have half of the fist lace pattern repeat done. I tried this portion on and it seemed much better. I may go down to a 2.25 mm needle (would have to buy one special) for the foot portion depending on how it goes once the gusset portion is completed. Because I am using a larger needle than the pattern calls for, I will make the foot area medium width instead of wide. I think it should turn out alright, but I will be checking and rechecking the entire time I am knitting it! I am super paranoid of it being the wrong size now, lol

I most likely won't have new pictures of these socks for awhile. I don't have much done on them yet, and my yarn order came, so I am working on an additional present as well.

2 comments: