Thursday, October 20, 2011

Latest Knit Picks order.

My order from Knit Picks came yesterday. No pictures :( Just haven't felt like bothering with pictures much. The yarn is spectacular and will make a very handsome scarf. I will no-doubt make the scarf with the jade colored yarn once "Skullface" is done, however long that may be.

Also included in my order were two sets of sock blockers, one large set and one medium set. They work quite well and seem plenty sturdy. You can see a picture of them in my recent post on the Tribute socks.

I have mixed feelings about the fixed circular needles I ordered. The 2.5mm looks great, but there is a weird problem with the 2.25mm size needle. One tip is considerably sharper than the other. I am a bit perplexed how something like this could happen. I would assume that the needles are all shaped the same way and would be identical to others in the same size. I am also a bit baffled by the lack of quality control on needles at Knit Picks. Everything else I've ordered from them thus far has been exceptional in quality, except for their needles. Remember that one Harmony needle tip that was separating in the grain of the wood? I did fix it with clear nail polish and it seems fine now, but I am wondering if I will get a messed up needle with every needle order I make; it is 2 for 2 so far.

Should I complain and return the needle because the ends differ so much, or should I just keep it and see how much it really effects the effectiveness of the tip? I am torn on what to do. I would like a perfect set of needles and to have consistent tip sharpness, but on the other hand there would be a considerable amount of time I would be without a 2.25mm needle while waiting for the exchange. I need that needle size for the sock patterns I have for Christmas gifts, and my time to complete those gifts is limited. The needles aren't very expensive, and I'm not sure I can afford the time it would take to return them. I need to see if the needles are usable as is, if so I will probably keep them. I don't feel like messing with them at the moment though. Maybe next week I will test them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment